Rory Sutherland: Life Lessons from an Ad Man
Simon Sinek: How Great Leaders Inspire Action
Dan Ariely: Are we in Control of our own Decisions?
Seth Godin: How to get your Ideas to Spread
Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, Happiness, and Spaghetti Sauce
Tim Harford: Trial, Error, and the God Complex
Steven Johnson: Where Good Ideas Come From
Cameron Herold: Let’s Raise Kids to be Entrepreneurs
Dan Cobley: What Physics Taught Me About Marketing
Jason Fried: Why Work Doesn’t Happen at Work
Daniel Pink: The Puzzle of Motivation
Richard St. John: 8 Secrets of Success
Here is an amazing list of resources, articles, and links for entrepreneurs done up by Tom Eisenmann from Harvard Business School. His original link is here. Read through, learn, and enjoy!
Customer Discovery and Validation
Marketing: Demand Generation and Optimization
Sales and Sales Management
Branding/Naming a Startup
Product Management/Product Design
- John O’Farrell of a16z describes how quality trumps quantity and clarity regarding mutual objectives is crucial in doing business development deals, using Opsware’s transformative distribution agreement with Cisco as a case study.
- My colleague Noam Wasserman published his book, The Founder’s Dilemmas, that describes tradeoffs that founders confront when deciding when/with whom to found, how to split equity, how to divide roles, etc.
- Blake Masters’ summary of Peter Thiel’s Stanford CS183 lecture on the importance on early founding decisions.
- Charlie O’Donnell of Brooklyn Bridge Ventures on questions that co-founders must address ASAP and the concept of the “minimum viable team,” i.e., the smallest set of skills needed to get traction in an early-stage startup.
Company Culture, Organizational Structure, Recruiting and Other HR Issues
Exiting By Selling Your Company
The Startup Mindset and Coping with Startup Pressures
Management Advice, Not Elsewhere Classified
Career Advice (Especially for MBAs)
- Brad Feld of Foundry Group and TechStars has published the book Startup Communities, a guide to building an entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Tools for Entrepreneurs
- Beyond Steve Blank’s Startup Owner’s Manual, a book he co-authored with Bob Dorf, here is a list of the fantastic resources Steve has made available to the startup community — mostly for free.
Peter Schiff is the man when it comes to economics. He predicted the 2008 housing crash and wrote several books outlining everything that is going on in the economy. Here is a great rant on how the government is covering up the inflation numbers.
If you go to conferences for the knowledge, you’ll be able to save a lot of money these days by just watching them online. Pause them, bathroom breaks, rewind, all the comforts of home. Howeer, they won’t help you much for face-to-face networking but at least you can follow the presenters on twitter!
Here is a listing of the presentations
And the complete playlist on Youtube. You can search through the different presentations in the playlist below.